
Some holiday venues in Yorkshire have reported a surge in demand for Easter bookings, as tourists cancel trips to the Middle East due to the ongoing war between the US and Iran.
The Traddock hotel near Settle said it had seen a spike in interest from holidaymakers in recent weeks, with the owner of self-catering cottages in Leyburn also experiencing a bookings boost.
Welcome to Yorkshire said any increase in holiday bookings would also be a benefit to other businesses in the region.
Linda Scott from the organisation said: "With increased visitors obviously you see more table bookings, more travel spending, so it really is a good story for businesses in the Yorkshire region."
Paul Reynolds, manager at the Traddock Hotel in the heart of the Yorkshire Dales National Park, said: "We've had four or five bookings from people who have had their holidays cancelled.
"They were disappointed and made the decision to treat themselves in the UK.
"They've come and stayed for in some cases five nights and enjoyed what the Dales has to offer"
Diane Howarth, owner of Cottage in the Dales, said the rise in bookings was replicated in the self-catering sector.
Diane, who has operated holiday cottages near Leyburn for more than 20 years, said she had been surprised by a "flurry of inquiries and extra bookings" from guests who have cancelled foreign holidays.
"A staycation boom is very welcome, it helps fill the gaps that we have," she said.
"Especially since the cost of our heating oil has more than doubled in the last couple of weeks, which was a big shock."
Diane said the boom would help "the wider industry as well, and really help the UK economy".
Meanwhile, a survey published by tourism body Visit England on Friday, stated 12.5m people were planning an overnight holiday trip in the UK for the Easter weekend, compared to the figure of 10.6m holidaymakers staying in the UK at the same time last year.
Neil Swanson, managing director of TUI UK and Ireland, one of the UK's largest holiday companies recently said British travellers wanted "reassuring alternatives to avoid travel through the Middle East", with people switching to "familiar, easy-to-reach" destinations.
Listen to highlights from North Yorkshire on BBC Sounds, catch up with the latest episode of Look North.
Related internet links
LATEST POSTS
- 1
Internet goes (cocoa) nuts: The funniest reactions to 12 tonne theft of KitKat bars - 2
South Carolina confirms 124 new measles cases as outbreak on the Arizona-Utah line grows - 3
Orbán orders stop to gas deliveries to Ukraine via Hungary from July - 4
A24's 'Backrooms' trailer shows endless fluorescent-lit spaces and terrifying mannequins melting into the floor - 5
Bismuth’s haredi draft bill won’t change enlistment, IDI expert tells 'Post'
Revealing the Incomparable Realms: An Excursion through Power and Inheritance
Alix Earle built trust by sharing her acne woes. Now her skin care line is raising questions.
Sexual violence is being used as a weapon in Sudan's war, doctors group says
Nestlé says 413,793 KitKat candy bars stolen en route from Italy to Poland
Extreme Manual for Picking a Camper Van
US FDA unveils new pathway to approve personalized therapies
The Job of Attorneys: It is Important to Comprehend When Legitimate Help
US FDA declines to approve Corcept's drug for rare hormonal disorder
France to build new nuclear aircraft carrier, Macron says












